Presented by the National Screen Institute in association with Telefilm Canada
September 16, 2016.
What is NSI Features First?
Read the full course information.
NSI Features First is a renowned development training launch pad for producer/writer teams looking to produce their first or second feature film with strong commercial appeal. It is NOT necessary to have a director attached to the project. Teams meet with top-level experts throughout the program and receive $7,500 towards the final development and packaging of their feature film project.
The course gets results: 19 feature films have been produced since the course launched in 1997.
- The Sun at Midnight – writer/director: Kirsten Carthew
- Two 4 One – writer/director: Maureen Bradley
- The Dark Stranger – writer/director Chris Trebilcock; producer Glen Wood
- Bang Bang Baby – writer/director: Jeffrey St. Jules
- I Declare War – writer/director: Jason Lapeyre
- Every Emotion Costs – writer/director: Darlene Naponse; producer Joseph Mansourian
- Foodland – writer/director: Adam Smoluk
- Love and Other Dilemmas – producer: Clare Hodge; director: Larry Di Stefano; writer: Deborah Peraya
- Fetching Cody – producer: Carolyn Allain; writer/director: David Ray
- 7 Times Lucky – producer: Liz Jarvis; writer/director: Gary Yates
- On the Corner – producer: Wendy Hyman; writer/director: Nathaniel Geary
- Goldirocks – producer: Lisa Hayes; writer/director: Paula Tiberius
- Flower and Garnet – producer: Trish Dolman; director/writer: Keith Behrman
- Leaving Metropolis – producers: Ken Mead and Paul Stiles; director/writer: Brad Fraser
- Inertia – producer: Brendon Sawatzky; director/writer: Sean Garrity
- Turning Paige – producer: Carolyn McMaster; director/co-writer: Robert Cuffley; writer: Jason Long
- My Father’s Angel – producer: David Bouck, co-executive producer: Trevor Hodgson; director: Davor Marjonovic; writer: Frank Borg
- Violet – producer: Mary Sexton; director/writer: Rosemary House
- The Bend – writer/director: Jennifer Kierans (developed in part through NSI Features First)
How much does it cost?
- $100 application fee per team.
- $1,500 tuition fee per team member if your team is selected.
When does it take place?
NSI Features First is a 10-month training course. The week-long, phase one training session takes place in Toronto in January 2017.
Teams that successfully move on to phase two will attend a second week-long training session in March/April 2017.