Presented by the National Screen Institute in association with Telefilm Canada
Applications are closed.
What is NSI Features First?
Read the full course information.
NSI Features First is a renowned development training launch pad for producer/writer teams looking to produce their first or second feature film with strong commercial appeal. It is NOT necessary to have a director attached to the project. Teams meet with top-level experts throughout the program and receive $7,500 towards the final development and packaging of their feature film project.
The course gets results: 19 feature films have been produced since the course launched in 1997.
- The Sun at Midnight, writer/director Kirsten Carthew
- Two 4 One, writer/director Maureen Bradley
- The Dark Stranger, producer Glen Wood, writer/director Chris Trebilcock
- Bang Bang Baby, writer/director Jeffrey St. Jules
- I Declare War, writer/director Jason Lapeyre
- Every Emotion Costs, producer Joseph Mansourian, writer/director Darlene Naponse
- Foodland, writer/director Adam Smoluk
- Love and Other Dilemmas, producer Clare Hodge, director Larry Di Stefano, writer Deborah Peraya
- Fetching Cody, producer Carolyn Allain, writer/director David Ray
- 7 Times Lucky, producer Liz Jarvis, writer/director Gary Yates
- On the Corner, producer Wendy Hyman, writer/director Nathaniel Geary
- Goldirocks, producer Lisa Hayes, writer/director Paula Tiberius
- Flower and Garnet, producer Trish Dolman, director/writer Keith Behrman
- Leaving Metropolis, producers Ken Mead, Paul Stiles, director/writer Brad Fraser
- Inertia, producer Brendon Sawatzky, director/writer Sean Garrity
- Turning Paige, producer Carolyn McMaster, director/co-writer Robert Cuffley, writer Jason Long
- My Father’s Angel, producer David Bouck, co-executive producer Trevor Hodgson, director Davor Marjonovic, writer Frank Borg
- Violet, producer Mary Sexton, director/writer Rosemary House
- The Bend, writer/director Jennifer Kierans (developed in part through NSI Features First)
How much does it cost?
- $100 application fee per team.
- $1,500 tuition fee per team member if your team is selected.
When does it take place?
NSI Features First is a 10-month training course. The week-long, phase one training session takes place in Toronto in January 2017.
Teams that successfully move on to phase two will attend a second four-day training session in March 2017.
Who are the NSI Features First faculty?
Melissa Kajpust and Shelly Quade. Read about the faculty.