Presented by the National Screen Institute in association with Telefilm Canada
Applications are closed.
What is NSI Features First?
Read the full course information.
NSI Features First is a renowned development training launch pad for producer/writer teams looking to produce their first or second feature film with strong commercial appeal. It is NOT necessary to have a director attached to the project. Teams meet with top-level experts throughout the program and receive $7,500 towards the final development and packaging of their feature film project.
The course gets results. In the 20 years we’ve run NSI Features First, over 20 feature films have been produced.
- Venus, producer Joe Balass, writer/director Eisha Marjara
- Adventures in Public School, writer/producer Josh Epstein, writer/director Kyle Rideout
- The Sun at Midnight, writer/director Kirsten Carthew
- Two 4 One, writer/director Maureen Bradley
- The Dark Stranger, producer Glen Wood, writer/director Chris Trebilcock
- Bang Bang Baby, writer/director Jeffrey St. Jules
- I Declare War, writer/director Jason Lapeyre
- Every Emotion Costs, producer Joseph Mansourian, writer/director Darlene Naponse
- Foodland, writer/director Adam Smoluk
- Love and Other Dilemmas, producer Clare Hodge, director Larry Di Stefano, writer Deborah Peraya
- Fetching Cody, producer Carolyn Allain, writer/director David Ray
- 7 Times Lucky, producer Liz Jarvis, writer/director Gary Yates
- On the Corner, producer Wendy Hyman, writer/director Nathaniel Geary
- Goldirocks, producer Lisa Hayes, writer/director Paula Tiberius
- Flower and Garnet, producer Trish Dolman, director/writer Keith Behrman
- Leaving Metropolis, producers Ken Mead, Paul Stiles, director/writer Brad Fraser
- Inertia, producer Brendon Sawatzky, director/writer Sean Garrity
- Turning Paige, producer Carolyn McMaster, director/co-writer Robert Cuffley, writer Jason Long
- My Father’s Angel, producer David Bouck, co-executive producer Trevor Hodgson, director Davor Marjonovic, writer Frank Borg
- Violet, producer Mary Sexton, director/writer Rosemary House
- The Bend, writer/director Jennifer Kierans (developed in part through NSI Features First)
How much does it cost?
- $100 application fee per team.
- $1,500 tuition fee per team member if your team is selected.
When does it take place?
NSI Features First is a 10-month training course. The week-long, phase one training session takes place in Toronto in January 2018.
Teams that successfully move on to phase two will attend a second four-day training session in March (producers) and April/May (writers) 2018 (dates TBC).
Who are the NSI Features First faculty?
Al Magee and Shelly Quade. Read about the faculty.