Jury members selected Not Over Easy as the winner of the $1,250 A&E Short Filmmakers Award, the $2,500 Shaw Media Fearless Female Director Award and the $750 Bite Comedy Award. Read more about the awards.
In Not Over Easy a woman daydreams about the happy couple she and her man once were, imagining what their lives would be like as a couple of eggs.
The jury also gave honorable mentions to the following films:
- A&E Short Filmmakers Award honorable mention for You Are So Undead directed by Alex Epstein
- Shaw Media Fearless Female Director Award honorable mention for The Exit directed by Jane Thompson
- Bite Comedy Award honorable mention for Lie Down and Die directed by Kyle Sanderson
Jury members had this to say about the films:
- “Not Over Easy really had it all: imaginative, cleverly executed and funny. It was a threesome hard to beat.”
- “With Not Over Easy Jordan shows that she has a truly unique storytelling voice. Her incredible comedic timing and personal style makes this film fun from beginning to end.”
- “You Are So Undead puts an interesting spin on the coming of age story. It’s an extremely polished film featuring a great performance from Erin Agostino.”
- “Not Over Easy creates an immensely funny, charming tale of female frustration out of a vignette acted out by animated eggs and played without dialogue – it’s pure visual storytelling with great attention to detail.”
- “You Are So Undead has a spontaneous, offhand comedic tone that belies its strengths: an economy of storytelling, and a clever spin on coming-of-age clichés.”
- “Lie Down and Die is a bleakly wistful portrait of fated deaths and willful hope told with bone-dry irony and cinematic playfulness.”
- “The Exit presents a straight-faced screwball scenario that is both funny and emotionally honest.”
Not Over Easy was written by Jody Richardson and Jordan Canning, produced by Sam Pryse-Phillips and animated by Mike DeCroock.
On receiving news of their success, the filmmaking team said, “We are thrilled that Not Over Easy has been awarded the A&E Short Filmmakers Award and the Bite Comedy Award!
From the conception of the idea, through production, animation and musical composition, to putting the final touches on the egg faces, this film was a true collaboration from start to finish. We had an amazing and creative team behind this little film, and are so proud of how far it has come.”
As the first recipient of the $2,500 Shaw Media Fearless Female Director Award Jordan Canning said, “I am extremely honored to receive this award. Thank you so much to Shaw Media and NSI for their formidable support of all the incredible female talent we have in this country.”
About the director: Jordan Canning
Jordan Canning has directed over a dozen short films and music videos.
Bedroom screened at the Toronto International Film Festival and won Best Atlantic Short at the Atlantic Film Festival. NSI Drama Prize film Countdown won a number of awards including a Golden Sheaf for Best Director.
Not Over Easy continues to screen all over the world including Tribeca, Newport Beach, Nantucket and Nashville Film Festivals. It was also a finalist in CBC’s Short Film Faceoff 2012.
Jordan is developing a number of feature films including an adaptation of the award-winning novel Come, Thou Tortoise. She is a 2010 graduate of the Director’s Lab at the Canadian Film Centre where she directed her most recent short Oliver Bump’s Birthday.
About the jury
Marcia Martin is Senior Vice President, Original Content for Blue Ant Media.
James Luscombe is a story editor and development executive who has worked for Telefilm, CFC, the Harold Greenberg Fund and OMDC.
The NSI Online Short Film Festival is made possible through the support of Presenting Sponsor Shaw Media, Program Partner Telefilm Canada, Comedy Award Sponsor Blue Ant Media, Female Director Award Sponsor Shaw Media, Overall Best Film Award Sponsor A&E Television Networks, and Supporting Sponsor Netflix.
All media enquiries
Lauren MacDiarmid, Communications & Programs Coordinator
tel: 204.957.2999 or email: email@example.com